Sunday, March 8, 2009

It's Jewish Halloween once again

Oh yay! (In case it isn't clear, I am typing that sarcastically.)

Today marked the official beginning of what I used to call Jewish Halloween. Not because I thought it was anything like Halloween, but it was much easier to explain it that way to my non-Jewish friends in Canada then expend the effort being accurate. Who has the time to tell them the story of Esther and Mordechai? If I had had a blog when I lived in Canada, then perhaps I would have done so, but now... now, it's too late. They can google it if they feel so inclined.

The truth is that today, Purim, like all other holidays (not Holy Days) has been bastardized for the masses. Purim is the holiday in Israel where teenagers wander the streets all day en masse -- dressed in costumes or, as I see it, living out their fantasies in public. Many of them are barely dressed at all. I doubt that there were any cowgirls in the 1800s who rode around on horses in mini, mini jean skirts and tank tops, with bright red lipstick. I think they are confusing themselves with the saloon girls, who had the brains to make their customers pay for the viewing rather than giving it all away for free! I have watched many an episode of Bonanza AND Little House on the Prairies so I know what I am talking about!

I really dread going to the main street of Ra'anana with my sons this time of the year. I see those girls. And I think they see those girls. But we all act like no one sees anything.

But there is a really sweet aspect of the holiday which is based on Jewish Queen Esther marrying the foreigner King Achashveyrosh (I am sure that is not the correct spelling, but my transliteration from Persian to English isn't so good.) and in turn, thwarting the plans of the evil Haman to kill all the Jews... with the help of her remarkable uncle Mordechai. (How's that for compact?)

The little kids are really cute and very creative to boot. They love walking around in their costumes all day and they aren't jaded yet, so the costumes are legitimate costumes.

The whole Purim festival thing is so ingrained and comfortable here that it isn't even remotely strange to walk down the street and see a man-sized leprechaun with a gun in his green belt walking towards you. I think the leprechaun thing is the odd part, but for people outside of Israel, the gun probably seems like the clincher. I actually saw a guy dressed like that today as I was walking to synagogue at 5:30 this afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera and now I just know I am going to spend several minutes confirming that I am not making this up.

Tomorrow is the beginning of the real Purim. That's when we get down to business with a little fasting, a little praying, and then a lot of eating. It is also the part I actually do look forward to ... gun-toting leprechauns and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment