Saturday, February 21, 2009

Is this guy on drugs or does he buy his own bull?

Apparently a few days ago my husband Chaim wrote a letter to the president of the York University concerning the overly aggressive protest against York's Jewish students a little over a week ago. From my perspective, writing a protest letter to this guy is like whistling into the wind, but Chaim is not one to take things lying down -- and that is something I really love about him.

I don't know what Chaim's letter said, but I have the response letter from the president of York. I can't figure out if he is a) totally deluded; b) totally in denial; c) has an evil body double; d) has multiple personality disorder or e) is an outright liar. You decide for yourself.

I have included his email address and am not protecting his privacy because I think he deserves whatever is coming at him.

Here's the letter he sent to Chaim via email:

FROM: Mamdouh Shoukri
TO: Chaim Wigoda
DATE: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:51:31 -0500

RE: Re: MOTION 2009-01-21: 03

Dear Chaim,

Thank you for taking the time to write me with your concerns about the
York Federation of Students’ recent motion condemning Israel.

The York Federation of Students is an independent corporation, and the
decisions they make are their own. The YFS does not represent in any way
the views of York University. We continue to remind them of their
responsibility as a student government to all of the students here at
York. It is also the role of the broader student population to make
their views known to their student government.

I believe a university campus is the most appropriate place for an
exchange of ideas and opinions, a place where discussions on highly
charged political issues can occur at an academic level, and in a civil
manner, so that they are meaningful and productive. These principles are
the basis of University policies and regulations, and individuals have a
responsibility to uphold them for the sake of the entire York community.

The Joint Statement on Community Values from the University Leadership
clearly delineates the position of senior University officials: “We call
upon every member of the York community to live up to our historic
commitment to social responsibility, equity and fairness in our dealings
with each other. It is imperative not to let our own opinion – however
sincerely held – be the tool with which we attempt to oppress, alienate
or silence others.”

Thank you again for getting in touch.



Sincerely,
Mamdouh Shoukri


Please remember that this is the president of a large (previously respected) Toronto university. He isn't a gang leader from the back streets of one of Toronto's less desirable neighbourhoods.

This is my favourite part:

I believe a university campus is the most appropriate place for an
exchange of ideas and opinions, a place where discussions on highly
charged political issues can occur at an academic level, and in a civil
manner, so that they are meaningful and productive.


Hell, I believe that too. It's just that if I wrote that I would expect to be held accountable to that behaviour. This guy seems to have a disconnect between his words and his actions.

I just want to know who died and left him in charge? Originally, I mistook the president of the university for the president of the Student Federation. Now that I realize that this is the senior guy in the university, I can't understand his hands-off approach. This incident is destroying the reputation of HIS university. He is in charge. Why isn't he doing his job? All he is doing is trying to distance himself from something that he is inextricably linked to.

I would be interested in your comments and thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Kendall - great entry on your blog! I think that the response Chaim got was a bunch of mealy-mouthed political correctness. I am quite concerned about the York incident and its implications.

    Hope you are doing well - best wishes to all.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete