Sunday, February 1, 2009

Election Guide for the Really Perplexed

If you come from an organized, law-abiding country like Canada, Israeli elections are like spending a month at the circus. Lots to do; lots to see; highly entertaining; and something for pretty much everyone. There's the clowns, the acrobats, the animal acts and a range of other performers.

Generally, the main performance takes place in an area called "The Ring" but in the case of Israeli elections, we call it "The Media". Often, a large circus will provide up to three performing areas that are dedicated to different types of acts. The idea of the "three ring circus" was to build up excitement for the citizens. The Israelis have perfected the concept.

Voila! Welcome to the Israeli elections. It's a mind-boggling cornucopia of information overload, intrigue, double binds, and the likes.

But the truth is that for all of its circus atmosphere, this is really serious business. Leading this country is no piece of cake. My husband used to wish that one of our sons would some day become the Prime Minister of Israel. To which I could only respond: "Are you crazy???? I wouldn't subject my worst enemy to such a thankless job; why would I want that for my beloved child?" Yes, it must be nice to have your picture on the cover of Time and Newsweek, but other than that…. All I see is downside. For example, having your face plastered on such magazines just makes it easier for assassins to find you while you are on vacation.

Another interesting thing about Israeli political parties is that it is very difficult to determine what they stand for – you know, their political platforms!!! Why have one of those???? Beyond being Left, Right, Religious, Secular, slightly Left and slightly secular, slightly extremely Right and moderately religious, etc… I cannot figure out what they all stand for.

In all fairness, there are a few clearly stated positions on a few items, but it's slim pickings in the clarity market.

That's why I was so happy when the Jerusalem Post reported on a website that took all the guesswork out of determining where you and your beliefs fit into the political spectrum. I went to this site immediately (israel.kieskompas.nl) and answered all the questions truthfully. Afterwards a little chart popped up and told me which parties I shared the most common ground with.

The only problem was that I am apparently most closely aligned with a party that some (obviously bleeding heart lefty) journalists are calling 'racist' and that does not sit well with my view of myself. Talk about having freezing cold water thrown in you face. Now, granted, a lot of people are not calling this party racist, but I hate the fact that that word is out there in connection to my political views. Therefore, I am back to square one and reconsidering my views. And now I am still not sure who to vote for, so there is no way I can leave the circus quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment