Friday, December 6, 2013

Temporarily Closed For Business

I have been meaning to resume writing here for some time now but I hadn't found a suitable (read: worthy) story for  my Welcome To My New Life In Israel blog .... until today.

First of all, I am not so new to Israel anymore which means that a lot of things that used to strike me as odd, no longer do. Second, I am lazy. There is no way around that one so just accept it. I did.

This morning, I was out walking my dog -- because as many of you know, NO ONE else in my family will do it without yelling and screaming about how unfair I am. Since I was walking in a quiet laneway I automatically turned around when I heard a voice behind me say in English: "Did you get my SMS this morning?"

There was my friend Alisa, also walking her dog (presumably for the same reason I mentioned above).

"No. I haven't turned my phone on yet."

"Oh then you don't know what happened."

Had I already listened to the radio I would have assumed she was -- for some reason-- talking about the death of Nelson Mandela. But, at that point, I didn't know that Mr. Mandela had died, she was smiling, and it was not the logical time or place for a political discussion. So, no, I didn't know what had happened.

"They closed my office until further notice," she said.

Her "office", as a point of reference, comprises two chairs and a sad little table outside the neighbourhood bakery. If you are ever looking for Alisa and she isn't home, your best bet is to check there. Everyone knows her hours of business and it is a hopping spot where much of the social activity in our neighbourhood happens. Stop any time the office is open and there will be someone to talk to! I would say that Alisa has the ultimate Open Door Policy, primarily because she has no doors, or walls for that matter.

Late many afternoons you will find her there with her two youngest children and her dog, while the kids do their homework. (She doesn't encourage visitors at that time because THE KIDS ARE DOING THEIR HOMEWORK OUTSIDE THE BAKERY.)

It surely sounds strange to anyone who hails from a northern climate less inclined to cafe life. But not here. There are probably lots of Alisa types all over Israel.

As it turns out, upon arriving at the office yesterday Alisa was informed that the bakery had been visited by the City because they received complaints that the area was too noisy -- so they removed the chairs and table. Yes, they just shut down her office without notice. Not even the decency of a call.

Now let me translate what really happened for you: "You and your friends are speaking English out here and it is offending Hebrew-speaking ears in the area."

I know this sounds a little paranoid but I can't help but think there is some truth to it for the following reasons:

  1. Taking away the office furniture will not stop the ongoing traffic/noise in front of the most tread part of the neighbourhood.
  2. It will also not stop everyone from standing and talking on the sidewalk.
  3. It will not reduce the amount of time people mingle there -- it is the bloody hub of the neighbourhood for heavens sake.
  4. They specifically removed the items that directly impact one specific English speaker and in turn, everyone she knows.
If you live in the neighbourhood I encourage you to join the peaceful demonstration for the return of Alisa's office ASAP. Every time you go to the bakery, ask them what happened to the table and chairs, and when they tell you, shake you head in disappointment. 

You might also want to suggest that it is going to harm their coffee business. That will get them where it hurts most -- in their office.




No comments:

Post a Comment