Friday, December 13, 2013

5756 miles and 11.7* south

The weather at this moment in Ra'anana, Israel (according to my car) is 4 °C. I can list on one hand the number of times I have experienced weather this cold in the past 12 years -- and none of those moments occurred in Israel.

So here's how I see it: I moved 5756 miles away and 11.7° south of my house in Toronto (that had heating 24/7 for eight months of the year) to live in very, very, very wet and very, very, very cold Israel. I can't help but wonder: Is the foul weather following me? Did someone somewhere think I was living too pleasantly? Was someone pissed that I experiencing too much sunshine? Was the fact that I did not need to scrape snow off my car windshield in finger-freezing weather offensive? Was I gloating about it? Well ..... maybe.

It is so wet and cold today that even my dog refuses to go outside. She has been holding nature at bay for more than 15 hours now -- and there is no way in hell that that can end well.

My son's ceiling is leaking -- roofs here are not built with the serious consideration of four days of pounding rain, wind and hail.

My daughter just informed me that if the ten layers of clothes she was wearing are not enough, then she has to go shopping because she simply does not own enough clothes for this weather.

My husband is leaving for Canada -- he says it's for business, but I think he is either going to get his real winter coat which is in a closet at his mother's house or he suspects it is warmer there.

And me, I am going to start surfing the net for a warm place -- hostile African and Arabian countries included -- to take a little vacation. I need to be somewhere hot so that I can go back to my normal complaint that I am too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment