Monday, September 7, 2009

Watercizing and socializing

I am no friend of physical activity. I am not even a mild acquaintance of exercise. I exercise strictly out of guilt because I don't want another woman to raise my children when I keel over from lack of attentiveness to my health and well-being. I also feel the silent (and sometimes not-so-silent) pressure of being married to a Half Ironman sort of guy. Mr. Let's Go Ride Our Bikes for Three or Four Hours and Then Let's Swim a Mile. Talk about opposites.

Last Spring one of my more peppy young friends who has a masters degree in something physically spunky and demanding decided to start a watercize class for women in the neighbourhood. Fortunately we also have a friend who was willing to volunteer her pool. Many of my friends joined up and next thing I knew I was one of the few non-watercizers in synagogue. I am only partly joking here -- there are now three or four watercize classes a week. It's a real local phenomenon.

And while I do not like physical effort, I am not one to miss a trend -- although I did pass on hipsters and six-inch spiked heels, and I have never taken to martinis of any kind. In other words, today I joined the watercizers.

Despite my overwhelming desire to say that the class stunk, it did not. Not even a little bit. Bottom line: it was so much fun. I managed to get a few of my kids carpools and after-school programs arranged; planned a few things for the upcoming Jewish holidays; commented on the rock music offering; and still stretched a few muscles. Now if that isn't a productive hour I don't know what is.

And best of all, it all happened outside. This isn't a big deal to anyone who lives in Florida, but coming from Toronto where September signifies the slow, inevitable onset of winter, it is a remarkable thing to be doing jumping jacks and leg plunges in any outdoor pool at this time of the year. It's going to be even more exciting in October when everyone in Toronto is digging out their winter jackets.

So despite my exercise aversion, I will be back in the pool next week. Plunging. Lunging. Flexing. Kicking and generally having a good time. Look, it could be worse, I could be doing a Half Ironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment