Saturday, September 26, 2009

My friend Barb, the Protestant Yom Kippur wannabee

I received an email earlier this week from my friend Barb in Toronto. She isn't Jewish and much to my surprise, after knowing her for years, I just found out that she is a Protestant. But in typical multicultural Toronto urban sophisticate form, she is open to taking the best of all religions and incorporating them into her life.

That's why she wrote to me this week to ask me what she could do to participate in Yom Kippur. Of course, she didn't want to fast. Anything but the fasting seemed doable to her. It's funny to see how the fasting seems so daunting to anyone who didn't grow up with it. Anyway, I made her a list of things to do so that she could have an annual repentance program.

Rather than tell you what I suggested, I am going to add her blog link here and let you read what she chose to do to celebrate Yom Kippur Protestant style. I know that sounds kind of weird but I am willing to applaud anyone who wants to improve themselves in any way. And I like to think of Barb's new program as a little touch of Tikun Olam -- me, her Jewish friend, helping her to leave the world a little better than she found it.

Good luck Barb!

No comments:

Post a Comment