Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A note to my readers

Everyday someone writes to me to tell me what's what with my blog from their perspective. And those who don't write, stop me on the street or in my driveway to offer their thoughts on my blog. Let me start by saying, I love that. And thanks. Other than the fact that you are supposed to write your comments ON the blog, you are all wonderful for giving me your input.

For those of you who didn't comment (yet) here are some of the best recent comments:
• "I think you are getting too intense"
• "What happened to your funny stuff?"
• "You may have triggered incitement and you better be careful because it is against the law" (this is from one of my lawyer friends)
• "You are turning into a redneck"
• "You should not advocate death for anyone"
• Your blog background is giving me polka-dot headaches (that's why my blog is now pink)
• "You really need a decent photographer"

I get lots of positive comments as well, but it's the less-than-positive ones that make me work harder – and make me think. And in that category, I have to give special thanks to my friend Beth in Toronto who gave me homework to do concerning the Catholic Church. While Beth and I may not see the Catholic Church in the same light, I do understand how she got to her perspective and I respect the fact that she has that perspective to begin with.

My cousin in Toronto won't even read my blog because she finds me too offensive all-around. I don't really get that because while I am clearly offensive on some days, overall I just don't see the blog that way. I think that there are people out there who just can't cope with anyone who see things differently than they do.

It would be a very dull world if everyone agreed on everything. I like freedom of speech, within some pretty broad, but healthy boundaries, so I can't very well withhold the same right from others now can I?

Finally, I have to quote my friend Tammy who is also in Toronto and who said (and this is only a slice of her much-lengthier comments):

"The beauty of a blog is if someone disagrees with you they have every right to switch to another site, yell at their computer screen and hope somehow you hear it or be a brave soul and write back a scathing rebuttal that will make them feel better or provoke a good healthy sparring of a difference of opinions for all to read at their leisure.

As a blogger you have a responsibility to no one but yourself. You are free to say whatever you feel, think, know... Right or wrong. The beauty of us as human beings is that we are all different and have different opinions and that’s ok."

This is why Tammy and I are friends. I couldn’t agree more.

Before I finish I also want to thank Anonymous. I don't know if you are one person or many, but without your support on the days that everyone else thinks I have lost my mind, I wouldn't be able to go on. Well, I would probably go on but with less motivation.

So, going forward, I hope you will continue to read and I hope you will feel free to comment. I would comment if I were you.

1 comment: