Saturday, April 18, 2009

It could only get better after the Burma Road

The rest of the Passover holiday was better. After the Burma Road fiasco, it really couldn't get a lot worse. Next year we are going to have to totally rethink this Passover vacation thing. As I mentioned previously I don't like to go away period and I definitely don't like to go away when everyone else goes away. However, yet again, I may have to eat crow.

My friends who went away spent hours sitting poolside at various hotel pools while their husbands entertained their children on various hikes and mini-mountain climbing expeditions. I don't think there is much work in figuring out who was smarter: me or them.

Once again my friend Beth reported that the hotel pools were a little over the top, but of course, she could say that because she didn't spend the day on the Burma Road and she didn't pay the stupid traffic fine (of course, neither have we at this point).

Day two we went to Zichron Yacov, which is a very trendy and happening place to spend a day. Unfortunately a lot of people thought the exact same thing and decided to join us there. The main street was shut off to traffic and there was a street festival. The good news is that I bought a table runner (yes, this is what my life has come to) for my dining room buffet. It's great and I love it. The bad news was that we were traveling with a handful of other people who had their own ideas about what to do -- and my husband elected me trip monitor without ever telling me that until I lost the first straggler.

Of course it's my fault when his 76-year-old mother wanders off to look at something, accompanied by his 50-odd-year-old cousin who is smart enough to be a doctor at Bellinson Hospital. I mean, really, what could have happened to them? They both speak hebrew and at least one of them had a credit card. I dream about moments like that when I lose everyone and they all go home without me but I don't care because I have a credit card and I know how to use it.

We also went to the First Aliyah Museum in Zichron because the town was one of pre-modern state Israel's original settlements. The museum is excellent and it was doubly excellent that day because it was free! The museum tells the story of one family that leaves Russia as a result of the pogroms there and moves to pre-state Israel in the late 1880s.

For anyone who thinks I have suffered from my move to Israel, this is a museum worth seeing. Those people came to nothing but trouble -- angry neighbours, disease, inability to make a living, etc... On the other hand I moved to a town in Israel with a big enough mall, satellite television, sugar-free fresh yogurt and tennis courts. We still have the angry neighbours both on our street and beyond our borders, but other than that, my move to Israel was a breeze in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment