Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I forgot how small minded they were

A few days ago I wrote a letter to the editor of the Cape Breton Post. That is the newspaper in the town where I grew up. They had published an article about that British MK Galloway who was denied entry into Canada because he was so anti-Israel and so very pro-Hamas. Blindy so, I would say.

Okay, so someone sent me the article and I felt compelled to write what I thought was a very reasonable letter to the editor. Well, as it turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.

I first found out that my letter was published when I received an email from my cousin Mark this morning. He was proud of me. Later, I spoke to my mother who in her subtly sarcastic way told me that her friends from Cape Breton had called to report that I was published. They were also pleased.

So far so good.

Oh don't worry, the good news ends there. I will tell you who wasn't pleased. The myopic, backwater people of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.

People wrote in and accused me of the craziest things. I think I may be arrested when I return there for my father's grave stone installation ceremony later this year. If my blog entries stop abruptly in October you will be able to find me sitting in the city jail in Sydney, Nova Scotia.

At first I just wanted to rebut everything each one of them said. And then, as I started to write, it dawned on me that I wasting my energy. These people are so small minded that they can't even consider another point-of-view. I even suggested that they not take my word for what I said, but rather, get on a plane and come see for themselves (Actually, I am trying to single-handedly boost the tourism numbers in Israel this year. I get a cut, of course.).

How reasonable can you get? Don't bother answering that. The answer is that when you support Israel, you can never be reasonable enough.

The strangest thing is that as I read their utterly ridiculous come-backs, I was overwhelmed with memories of what it was like to grow up as a Jewish kid in a backwater town. Most of those people had never left the province, let alone the country. I am sure not one of them has ever seen the inside of a museum. Yet, they know it all and what they know is that Jews are bad and nothing we say in support of Israel could possibly be true.

The one good thing that came out of it is that someone took the time to google me and that was good for my blog ranking and my Ezine readership. Wait until they find out that they were supporting the Worldwide Zionist Cabal when they did that! Oh that's going to be a great laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Kendall -I have had similar experiences when I have had letters published in the Post, or for that matter, the Halifax Herald.
    Unfortunately, it is not a small town thing - go to almost any newspaper where comments are posted - including Ha'aretz and Jerusalem Post - and you will see the same thing.
    Chag Kasher v'Sameach
    Mark

    ReplyDelete