Thursday, March 5, 2009

So I am not crazy after all

I was reading the Jerusalem Post yet again this morning and I noticed a small article on the front screen about Israel Apartheid Week in North American universities. For those of you who have read my previous posts, you may remember that I was tough on the Jewish students at Toronto's York University for running for cover rather than standing up for themselves and Israel.

And man oh man, did I take heat for that. And that's fair. If you publish your thoughts then you leave yourself open to comment and criticism. Fine.

But when I read today's article in the Post, which quotes Orna Hollander, the executive director for the Canadian Center for Israel Activism, I had a wonderful surprise. I don't know her although I have old friends with the same last name, so her comments and mine are totally independent.

Let me set this up before I quote her. The Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesperson, when asked if the FM was going to get involved, said no because it is a small thing and we would only exacerbate the problem. (I am paraphrasing) And then, came the line that made my day. Over to Orna.

She said (and I quote first from the newspaper and then from Orna):

According to Hollander, responding to these attacks on Israel is the job of the students.

"Israel's got enough on its plate," she said. "The students should be on the front lines against intolerance."


Ah ha! I am dying to say "I told you so", but I know I have to be more gracious than that. So, instead I am going to give you the link to the article and you can decide for yourself if I am vindicated or not. Here it is: www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1236103157842&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

No comments:

Post a Comment