Wednesday, January 14, 2009

War? What war?

I was going to say that I was mad, but in fact I am not mad -- either in the literal or misused sense of the word. In fact, I am perplexed.

I cannot ignore the fact that the people most inclined to leave feedback and comments concerning my blog are not Jewish. In terms of religious choices, this is neither here nor there. I am perplexed because my non-Israeli (NI), Jewish readers are reluctant (I chose this word because my 8th grade teacher used it when she caught me copying from someone else's work. She said I seemed reluctant to work. I had to go home and check a dictionary. She was right.) to discuss the elephant in the room -- the war in Gaza.

Don't worry, I am not going into a tirade on war. But I cannot help but notice that my non-Jewish readers think nothing of saying what they think about the war. I think that's great. Most of my NI Jewish readers on the other hand are taking the "War?-What-war?" approach.

Without going into my opinions about the war in Gaza, I will say that in most ways life in the center of Israel is relatively normal. It's not completely normal because so many reservists have been called up that there are gaps in everyday life. My garden, for example, is a mess because my gardener is off protecting the citizens of Israel.

I would also like to add that every Israeli is concerned for the well-being of those boys in Gaza and we just want them to come home safely. Today they are someone else's sons but sometime in the not to distant future (unfortunately) they may be my sons. I would also like to say that generally speaking most Israelis are sad about the average Palestinian's suffering. However, unlike the world press and much world opinion (at least in Europe), we do not hold ourselves responsible -- we hold their leaders responsible.

So now I have let my squeamish NI Jewish readers off the hook. That may not have been the best idea I have had today, but I need closure and if you aren't going to give it to me, I am going to get it for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment