Sunday, April 5, 2015

Thanks for the input; keep it to yourself

I really have to make it a point to stop speaking to people who do not live in Israel about Israel. My world view is apparently offending Jews who do not live here, left, right and center. In truth, I don't think I really care if I offend those people -- the bigger question for me is why I don't care. I thought I was nicer than that. Boy, apparently you can really delude yourself if you so choose.

Today was the most recent example of me offending someone who doesn't live in Israel and thought that I might be interested in their point of view about Israel. When that person said "well, I don't think that Jews outside of Israel should say negative things about Israel in public, but I do think that they are entitled to their opinions and should be able to discuss them with friends."

First let me say that, generally speaking, everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, for me, when it comes to Jews who do not live here giving opinions about how the country should operate, I really do not think that those Jews are entitled to their opinions. Israel should give back land. Israel should placate the US. Israel should share Jerusalem with the Palestinians. Israel should do this or it should do that.

So here is my response -- which I am sure is bound to make me more enemies than friends. Ma nishtana halaila hazeh?

Israel, as a country, is in a unique international position. Most Western countries today are populated by a religious majority and many minority groups who have found ways to co-exist with the majority. The religious majority, being the majority, assumes that most national religious decisions are based on their belief system. So all is well and good. The religious majority is not focused on the politics of other countries with similar belief systems simply because they have a similar belief system. I doubt, for example, that Canadian Christians spend much time worrying about the collective well-being of Christianity in the US or England. The same cannot be said for Israel.

Israel, as a predominantly Jewish country, has the benefit of input from every self-acknowledged Jew in the whole damn world. Ths is due in part to the government telling them that this is their country -- note to government: I think you are over-playing that card, so find a new catch phrase. It is also due to the fact that Jews, being Jews, feel an innate entitlement to comment on Israel's comings and goings.

Therefore, external Jews feel they are entitled to judge how things work here. They are not. I do not believe that most of us here are interested in how you think this country should operate. You think we should share Jerusalem, stop settlement building and give back a piece of our already minuscule slice of land. In turn, you will be able to hold your heads high as tolerant Jews -- a safe distance from the fall-out of your lofty opinions -- as you go one with your daily lives.

That's nice. Thanks for your input. Of course, if we start taking your advice (so that you can feel good about being fair and reasonable Jews) and we are all wiped out because suddenly the people who hate us to the core of their very beings have easy access to us (thanks to your very useful input) it won't change your lives one iota. You will continue living without fear -- going to the grocery store, the mall or even the office without an additional ounce of concern. We, of course, will not. We will be here trying to survive the consequences of your totally unwelcomed and half-baked input.

I could probably give a hundred more examples, but this is a blog, not a book. Instead, let's agree that unless you are willing to throw your lot in with Israel 24/7, then you should just shut-up. You don't want Bibi to speak for you -- then you, under no circumstances, should speak for us. I won't bother mentioning that the doors are always open to you because, dear heavens, I know you don't want to live here and possibly suffer the consequences of the input from other self-entitled Jews living comfortably outside of Israel.

In the event that you are interested in joining us, my best guess is that the next election will be in 2-3 years.





2 comments:

  1. Kendall, there is no doubt you have placed yourself in the centre of the ring, hopefully with big gloves and a sturdy helmet. As you know I am a Canadian goy and a long-time supporter of Israel. I am a friend of many diaspora Jews, but I am personally not a fan of Netanyahu. I have one thing to say... . Israelis choose their own government - for very good reason - and the choice must be respected.

    You have friends among your critics, by the way.....

    You Will Respect My Authority

    Israelis have a right to their own choices and owe no one else an explanation for how they vote (“Israelis Are Not That Weird,” March 27). Most Americans think the same way and most Israelis respect our right of choice as well. The problem is that an activist minority in each nation constantly meddles in the other nation’s business, and this more than all else is the source of our present conflicts. No one can possibly detest [Benjamin Netanyahu] more than I do, but I totally respect the right of Israelis to choose their own leaders. So do most other American Jews, and so, most likely, do Israelis respect our right to our own choices. This article makes no sense unless we are telling each other what to do, and if we are, this must stop at once.

    John Thomas via jewishjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I agree with everything you say and while I am not Bibi's biggest fan at this point, the elections spoke for themselves. Even if I loved him, you are definitely entitled to your opinion. The difference for me is that Jews worldwide are a very small group. Approximately 50% of them live outside of Israel and do not harbour any desire to change that. Yet they are first in line to comment (and often criticize) what is going on here -- without, as they say, any skin in the game.. I know from experience that the facts on the ground are often seen through a different lense than what outsiders ascertain from periodic visits and reading newspapers. I am sure Americans would appreciate it if outsiders stayed out of their politics as well -- although being the most powerful country in the world makes it an easy target. I think it is easier to give advice than to have to be the people who live with the consequences of the advice.

    ReplyDelete