Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I just want to get you pregnant

People often ask me where I get the ideas for my weekly posts and I have to tell you, maybe it's Israel, but honestly the ideas are really just little nuggets that come straight from heaven! I keep my ears and eyes open and without failure, they show up.

This morning in the gym (my absolutely least favourite place in Ra'anana) my new friend Sharon mentioned that I hadn't written anything this week. She was right. I have Pesach on the brain (finally) and writing a post didn't even cross my mind until she mentioned it. After I left the gym, I was walking to my car still making mental notes about what I had to do today and tomorrow to be ready for the holiday.

I mindlessly got in the car, drove out of the parking lot and headed home on the same route I take every day when I leave the hated gym. I had the windows open, because it was a beautiful morning, when I stopped at the red light at Weitzman and HaHaroshet.

A large white truck with its young, tattooed driver pulled up in the lane next to me. He also had his window open and the song blasting -- and I mean blasting -- from either his radio or some other device in the cab was "girl you make me want to get you pregnant". Yes, it caught my attention (to begin with, it was in English and second, I am confident that it caught everyone's attention for a mile radius) and just like that Pesach went out the window.

Naturally I couldn't get the stupid, creepy song out of my head until I came home, checked who sang it and began typing this truly unpleasant episode on my blog. Who wrote that song? Who thought it was commercially viable? Does anyone out there -- besides me -- find this song offensive? Or at least seriously creepy? And most important, what does it have to do with Pesach?

I am supposed to be focusing on what still needs to be cleaned in the kitchen and transitioning from my everyday stuff to my Pesach stuff. And all I can think about is men singing about getting women pregnant! I think it is fair to say that, at 52, it's not something I want to think about at the best of times. I think that even in my younger (fertile) years I would have run as far and as fast as I could from anyone who started singing a song about getting me pregnant. It's not a sing-y thing.

So now you know where the ideas come from. It just takes one truck driver who is obviously not remotely worried about Pesach to roll down his window and enjoy the day. And one blogger who wants to be doing anything but what she is supposed to be doing. And just like that, a nugget falls from heaven.






No comments:

Post a Comment