Wednesday, October 6, 2010

More "Things That Never Happen In Canada"

Last night we had to attend a wedding in Beit El. Beit El, for those of you who do not know Israeli geography, shares a border with Ramallah and Ramallah is not a friendly location for any trip at the best of times. Oh, and for those of you who really know zippo, Ramallah is the ex-home of Israel's "good" friend Yassar Arafat and is now the "capital" for the Palestian Authority.

Okay, so now everyone should understand that Jews do not casually drive out there.

Beit El is a Jewish town smack dab in the middle of the Arab-dominated West Bank and even if peace negotiations ever succeed, you can rest assured that Beit El is not well situated to find itself in a future version of Israel. (Warning: do not send me hate mail if you disagree with this point-of-view. It is my firm, unwavering belief. Period.)

As I mentioned above, we "had" to attend the wedding. It was a family event and we don't miss family events regardless of their less-than-ideal locations. The family members in question live in Beit El. However, no one who does not make that trip regularly jumps into their car, with their children, and pops off to Beit El without considering the potential for .... well, death. I was trying to think of a way to say that nicely but there just isn't one.

Jews driving in the West Bank -- particularly at night -- have been known to be shot at, maimed, and killed, so you really do have to consider your mode of transportation and your route before you leave. One wrong turn and you could end up somewhere even less friendly that Ramallah -- like Nablus.

In these situations, I prefer to travel by bullet-proof bus from Jerusalem but frankly, that is a major schlep and you are at the mercy of the bus. If you want to leave and the bus isn't ready then tough tiddle-y-winks for you. It's not like you can call a cab, hitch hike or walk.

However, last night the bullet-proof bus option really didn't work for us and getting to the wedding was essential. Therefore, I said: "Screw it. We're driving."

Sometimes my husband looks at me as if he has somehow created a politically defiant monster but the truth is that after some thought it comes down to this: I live Israel. The West Bank is still part of Israel. A member of our family was getting married in her hometown. I needed to get somewhere that other people were trying to scare me into avoiding. However, there are Jews who live in the West Bank and travel these roads everyday. I don't go looking for trouble, but I am not going to be unduly intimidated to the point that I am fearful of living my life. Why do I have to run away from people who should be smart enough to see that their lives in Israel are far better than they would ever be under PA rule?

Agree with my thinking or don't, but either way you have to admit this never happens in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment