Friday, October 2, 2009

Now I know why we should let sleeping dogs lie

Apparently I have watched way too many Disney movies in my day because I really thought that dogs talked to each other -- in English. I was acutely aware of this preconceived notion yesterday as we left the dog kennel section of the local dog pound with our new puppy.

After our friend and pound veterinarian Sarah (the same Sarah from the Half Ironman Weekend) had let our new puppy out of her cage, all the other dogs started barking as our new puppy strutted down the pound corridor for the last time. I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that all the other dogs were barking: "good luck pal, and come back for us if things are good on the outside." And I am pretty sure that my new puppy barked back: "I'm off to brighter pastures boys!"

I refuse to retract my speaking dog theory but since I was forced back into reality once we got home I now see that real-life dogs are nothing like those fake movie dogs. Beethoven was very independent and so were Lady and the Tramp. They went out for a spaghetti dinner as I recall. And what about all those clever dogs in Cats & Dogs? Humans seemed almost inconsequential in their lives beyond providing some food and shelter. This does not appear to be the case in real life.

Oh, and I must seguay for a second to THANK (not) everyone I bumped into yesterday who said: "Are you crazy?" or just burst into laughter when they saw us walking our new dog. If I hear the phrase: "you're in for a month of hell" again I am going to knock someone off. You all know who you are and I strongly advise that you keep an eye open when you see me and my dog coming. If not, he is going to pee on you once I teach him how to pee-on-demand. I would like to say that he will bite you if you aren't nice but he weighs all of three kilos and he has a sweet temperament so I am not counting on much in the tough-dog department.

Regardless of what I thought dogs were like, I am happy to say that we have survived the first 24 hours without a major incident. Of course, peeing on my beautiful Italian ceramics wasn't exactly the best thing that happened yesterday. And I am sure that the dog would be happier if Yael would stop trying to dress her up in doll clothes and carry her around.

Either way, I feel like our transition to Israel is nearing completion. The dog is really the icing on the cake.

(A few side notes... first, you will notice that I didn't mention the dog's name and that's because it has changed twice since we brought her home. Poor dog is going to end up with multiple personalities. I wanted to name her Tellulah but no one else would agree to that. Then we moved to Rocky but that was perplexing to some people because it's a she-dog (for now). We think we have finally arrived at the name Pepper, but you will have to wait until my next post for confirmation.

(Second of all, I would have posted a photograph of the dog IF WE HAD A CAMERA! But thanks to some thoughtless person on the 16 bus that stops in Picadilly Circus, we no longer own one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment